David J. Whelan is a seasoned strategy, business development, and general management executive building businesses and inspiring entrepreneurs at the intersection of technology, health, and wellness. David discusses how he combines his love for health and the tech industry into one, and what a successful pitch looks like, when aiming towards these types of investors. Listen in for so many great nuggets of wisdom from David on the topics of investing, raising capital, and building your network.
What Was Covered
- 04:05 - David has a BS in Symbolic Systems from Stanford University. What does Symbolic Systems mean?
- 04:50 - Why did David want to study Symbolic Systems, and how did David get started in his career?
- 09:05 - David and 24-Hour Fitness tried to launch a fitness wearable in 2004, but they were too far ahead of their time.
- 12:45 - How was David able to fundraise over $115 million for a non-profit?
- 15:10 - David shares an example of how building strong connections can be an excellent lead-in to other people’s networks.
- 21:25 - How did David raise $25 million for the for-profit precision medical industry?
- 24:15 - The great thing about healthcare, is that everyone has dealt with it at one point in their lives. This means that healthcare stories are very relatable for investors.
- 28:10 - When you pitch, you want to provoke, inspire, and tease the solution.
- 28:20 - David talks on his one-time involvement with the Chinese casino game leasing industry.
- 32:55 - David recommends two books, The Checklist Manifesto, by Atul Gawande and Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline.
The Checklist Manifesto; How to Get Things Right, by Atul Gawande
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Crack The Funding Code!
Register now for the free webinar
Share The Show
Did you enjoy the show? I'd love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the 'Subscribe' button below the artwork
- Go to the 'Ratings and Reviews' section
- Click on 'Write a Review'